Thursday, October 6, 2011

My apologies

As always, I am sorry for writing so little lately. It has been quite a week, and as I am still without internet access in my apartment, my computer time is limited (and, I'm using the Wifi at the local McDonald's, so I try to keep my visits here as short as possible-case in point: this afternoon the place is currently full of shrieking children).

I started working this week! I have only been shadowing Maria Jose, the director of the bilingual program at my school, San Juan Evangelista. Once I have my own schedule, I will be assisting the P.E. and Science teachers with their lessons, of 3rd and 4th graders. My instruction is all in English (when possible). In fact, when Maria Jose introduced me to the first class, she said I don't understand any Spanish. The children find that hard to believe, and picked up on the fact that I do know at least some words. Even if they address me in Spanish, I always respond in English, and usually ask them to speak English.

The kids are great. I walked into a class today, and their faces lit up! I know I am still a novelty, a foreign one at that, but I plan on soaking up their admiration until my shine wears off. And I gladly accept the hugs I get in the hallways!

The teachers at the school are all wonderful, very patient and kind with me. I am excited to settle into a routine, and start to feel at home (all in time, though).

The weather here is beautiful! The mornings are starting to be chilly, but I have had 12 days full of sunshine, and today is my 12th day in Spain. I think I will cry the first day that it is rainy, or even just cloudy! However, I packed mostly fall-ish clothes, so I can't say I'm not looking forward to "boot" weather, at least.

Once I have internet in my apartment, I plan to start writing in both Spanish and English. I think there is a value to "self-immersion" which would involve writing and thinking in Spanish. But, the point of this blog is to keep my family and friends up-to-date on my life here, and I know few of you speak Spanish.

Anyway, the smell of french fries is getting to me, and the view of the pretty plaza outside the window is particularly attractive.

I promise to post more regularly-hopefully you still believe me when I say that!

I still miss home very, very much, and I would love to hear from anyone and everyone!

Un abrazo.

1 comment: