Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mis Clases

Well, I have officially finished two weeks of classes at the University of Salamanca. I have three hours of classes on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. My course load is much, much lighter than I am used to taking at Bellarmine, but I think I will be able to keep myself busy. I am taking an online course through BU, as well, which requires some time (as well as self-discipline, maybe not the best choice?). I will be working in the English department approximately six hours each week. And, I would love to take long weekends to travel! In the end I will have earned 15 credit hours total during this semester abroad.

My classes are interesting, and a bit overwhelming. It is quite a challenge to listen, comprehend (the hardest part, haha) and take notes, all while keeping up with the professors! I am hoping this will improve; I know it will, but I am rather impatient.

My favorite class in Methodology of Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language. I wish it were taught in English only so that I knew I was understanding it entirely!

I am taking a Spanish-Arabic Culture course. I have enough trouble understanding and remembering Arabic words and names translated into English, but it is very different learning of them in Spanish! Oh well, I am here to embrace the challenge, right?

My third USAL class is Iconography, which is in the Art History department. This is the elusive class I missed twice the first week. It appears to be very interesting, but I feel very lost. I'm hoping to catch up, but I am most nervous about this class. I know a student who took the course last year and said it is challenging (and she's Spanish!). So, we'll see about this one!

An interesting difference here is the start time of classes. My Methodology class is scheduled 5:00-7:00 on Monday evenings, and 4:00-5:00 on Tuesdays. The professor asked us last week how we feel about starting at 5:15 and finishing at 6:45. What college student in the world would mind? On Tuesdays we start between 4:10 and 4:15.

The lax attitude is similar in my Iconography course, but different for Culture. The professor begins promptly at 1:05 (even though it is scheduled to start at 1:00). I told a friend about this, and he said that the classes that only last an hour (Culture) generally begin on time, but the longer classes start later, usually 15 minutes late.

Each of my classes is a different building, but the farthest is just a fifteen minute walk from my residence.

I have finally started to remember the way to walk to my dorm from classes. Last week I always walked a different way, and would end up looking at the map, confused. I'm learning!

I am very glad I have the opportunity to be directly enrolled at the university, though it is a bit challenging, well very challenging! But, I keep calm and carry on.

Blessings from Spain,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment