Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Arco Iris

I know I talk a lot about the weather here (I think I get that from Mom and Dad!) but this week has been quite unusual, and today there was a pleasant surprise.

Monday, when I left my room, the sun was trying to shine, but the clouds looked threatening. I went back to my room to get my umbrella, which was a smart decision because as soon as I left the building the rain started.

Too bad my umbrella broke in the middle of the downpour a few minutes later...

It has been raining off and on all week, it will be sunny but suddenly start to rain. I always look for a rainbow when this happens, but never had the luck to find one.

This afternoon (after my siesta, of course) I went for a jog and thankfully remembered to wear my rain jacket, because though it was sunny, the rain started a few minutes into my run. Grumbling to myself about the weather, I stopped to stretch. As I started to run again, I looked up and saw a beautiful, small, rainbow! I wanted to tell everyone I met on the street to look, but I didn't know the word (I have since looked it up: "arco iris").

I continued to run, with a goofy smile on my face, I'm sure, while looking at the sky and trying not to fall or get hit by a car. After a few minutes another small arc appeared. I was so excited, of course I decided to run in their direction. (It really is the small things in life that put a smile on my face!) As I continued, quite literally, chasing the rainbow, I ran into the Plaza Mayor. The second arc disappeared, but the first arc turned into an entire rainbow. You have no idea how upset I was that I didn't have my camera-it looked like a postcard: the rainbow stretching perfectly over the beautiful Plaza...

Well, I ran for a bit longer in the same direction, stopping every few minutes to see where it was, but it disappeared. On the plus side, because I ran after a rainbow instead of paying attention to my route, I ran farther than I usually do!

I promise the next time I write I will have more interesting things to discuss: I am going to Barcelona on Friday!

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment