Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm Spanish...?

It is very interesting to be in a different country!

I arrived late last night in Milan, Italy to spend time with a close friend from Bellarmine who is studying here. We are going to Rome tomorrow for five days, and then
to France the week after Easter. Not a bad spring break...

The language difference is just strange. My instinct is to respond in Spanish (a good sign, no?) but it is more likely that someone here speaks English instead of Spanish.

In the check-in line I chatted briefly with three Italian people in Madrid on business, and then ended up sitting behind them on the plane. I was sitting next to a young Italian guy who was very fidgety. The group in front of us carried on an animated conversation with him, in Italian. I think they thought I at least understood a little of what was said, but I was completely clueless.

I did my best to sleep, though my neighbor probably didn't appreciate it: my head kept falling on his shoulder! At least I didn't drool on him...

It wasn't until we were waiting to exit the plane that this group of people realized I don't speak ANY Italian. After that I conversed with my neighbor in English and a little Spanish (he is studying in Madrid, and spent a year in Phoenix, Arizona).

Mary is in class right now, but I am going to take the bus to meet her near campus for lunch...which means I need to figure out how to buy a bus ticket. Google Translate, here I come.

As I said, we leave tomorrow for Rome! I will keep you posted on our adventures.

Ciao,

Sarah


Soy española...?

Es muy interesante estar en un país diferente!

Llegué muy tarde anoche en Milán, Italia para pasar el tiempo con una buena amiga de Bellarmine que estudia aquí. Mañana vamos a Roma para cinco días y luego vamos a Francia durante la semana después de la Pascua. No tengo vacaciones malas...

La diferencia de las lenguas es rara. Mi instinto es hablar Español (una buena señal, ¿no?) pero es más probable que alguien aquí hable Inglés en vez de Español.

En la cola de embarque he hablado un poco con tres italianos estaban en Madrid para negocios. Durante el vuelo me sentía detrás de ellos y al lado de un chico italiano quien estaba muy nervioso. Tenían una conversación entusiasmada en italiano. Creo que pensaron que hable un poco italiano, pero no tenía ninguna idea.

Intenté de dormirme pero muchas veces me desperté con mi cabeza cerca de mi vecino...oops! Por lo menos no babeé...

Cuando estabamos saliendo el vuelo ellos se dieron cuenta de de que no hablara nada italiano. En ese momento hablé con mi vecino en inglés y español (él estudia en Madrid y pasó un año en Phoenix, Arizona).

Mary está en clase ahora y voy a tomar el autobús para encontrar con ella. Este significa que tenga que comprar un billete. Google traductor, vengo.

Como dije, vamos a Roma mañana! Os diré de nuestras aventuras.

Ciao,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment