Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Huele Barca



"Soccer" as we know it doesn't exist here, but "futbol" es la vida. Recently, when I told my gym classes we were playing soccer, they looked at me blankly. When I said, "Fine, it's football", they erupted in cheers. I think I even received a hug for that. (That's the easiest way to feel loved as a teacher-give them what they want).

The hottest rivalry is between the leading teams: Real Madrid and Barcelona FC. Today there is a big game as the teams vie for the Copa del Rey.

In honor of the big game (and this is in no way an endorsement of a particular team) I have a little anecdote to share today. This is actually from awhile ago, but I don't think I have written about it yet...

I was in a preschool class-three year old students, to be precise-and it was chaotic, as usual. Suddenly, we all noticed a horrible smell. The teacher laughed and said: "Someone pooped his pants!" (Side note: Yes, my decision to not teach preschool is connected to this day). In the middle of the commotion, a little boy piped up and said: "Huele caca...huele Barcelona!"

Translation: "It smells like poop...It smells like Barcelona!"

Out of the mouths of babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment