Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Almost there


(This is a picture of Toledo I took in January, 2010).

Just two more short days before I arrive in Spain! It is hard to believe the time has come, and hard to believe I am going back.

Rereading my last post in 2010, the closing "chapter" of my studies abroad, it is clear that as I wrote that note, I had little, if any, intention of returning to Spain to live.

But it is funny the way life works, sometimes drawing us places we least expect. And that is usually where we discover the greatest adventures, in the unexpected.

I am anxious and sad to leave: these emotions I recognize (less than fondly) from the months leading up to my semester abroad. Thankfully, I am not stricken with the same overwhelming fear I had the last time. I am excited! I am more proficient with the language. I am familiar with the airport. I know what to do when I'm sick. I won't be listening to class lectures in Spanish! I experienced many of the "unknowns."

However, I am aware that this is a completely new adventure: a new routine, new people, new challenges, new rewards. And if there is anything I learned from my last trip abroad, it is that the most challenging things in life are generally the most rewarding.

I hope you enjoy following my adventures. Perhaps "adventure" is a big word to use. I can't promise anything particularly interesting or exciting, but I can promise lots of pictures!

And, I want to say a quick note of thanks to all those who encouraged me to do this. It isn't easy to say goodbye, and I appreciate all the love and support I have received.

Un abrazo muy fuerte.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! The worst part is the build-up... Soon you will be there and it will be your life... Your beautiful life! I love you so much and am so proud of you, inspired by you, and excited to see you in one month!

    All my love, a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And... Did not realize my hubby had a blog!

    ReplyDelete